The Hooper family started their journey in the motor industry back in 1933 when Harold Frederick Hooper opened a car lot in Pietermaritzburg. Two years later he was attracted to the hustle and bustle of Durban's busy port and he moved the operations to West Street. He was soon joined by his son, Mickey, who ran the business until his death in 1977. Tim then took control of the company and has been involved ever since. He now fulfils the role of Chairman with his son, Dave, overseeing the day to day operations.
During the early years, Hooper Motors operated a General Motors franchise. This changed to Renault in the early 1960s and was followed by the Volkswagen brand in 1968. This has proven to be a wonderful association and continues to this day.
VISION & VALUES
The business was founded on the premise of "Sales on Service" with the customer at the centre of everything we do. We try to provide a personal touch and our approach to business is one of long term relationships built on honesty and trust. We enjoy nothing more that sharing a cup of coffee with our customers - many of whom had parents and grandparents that were also customers of ours!
Our Values are:
- Responsibility and accountability: We take ownership of our actions and avoid creating false expectations
- Trust and respect: We value open communication, diversity and new ideas
- Unconditional dedication to our customers: We believe that our customers deserve the very best
- Ongoing improvement and learning: We believe in challenging the status quo
The dealership is managed by a team of highly experienced people who have committed themselves to upholding the company values and ensuring unconditional dedication to our customers. The combined years’ service in the motor industry is staggering (over 100 years – Wow!). Our Leadership team is:
- Dave Hooper: Dealer Principal
- Clive Brooks: Corporate Sales
- Douglas Escreet: Service and Aftersales
- Alison Wiltshire: New Car Sales
- Dave Johnson: Mastercar/Used Car Sales
- Etienne Erasmus: Parts
- Charlene Dakin: F&I
- Pravesh Rupnarain: Finance and Admin
Our history is woven into the Durban community and we believe strongly in contributing to the upliftment of the Durban communities we serve. Over the years we have chosen some projects that we believe have and will continue to have a meaningful impact.
We are proudly associated with the Go! Durban Cycle Academy and LIV Village.
To amplify what we stand for we have carefully chosen (or been chosen by!) two incredible brand ambassadors - real game changers:
- Arnold Phillps (Aewon Wolf) – a fiercely independent musician, on a mission to build the music/movie industry in Durban, determined to give back to the youngsters starting out. Take a look at what he's doing at the Warehouse (82 Hunter St, Durban) or stay posted for information of his next show / new album (www.aewonwolf.com). You can follow him on Instagram (@aewonwolf) or Facebook (@aewonwolfx).
- Phumlani Dube - a champion of the Durban community, health evangelist and motivation mogul. You can follow him on Twitter (@PhumlaniDube)